Monday, May 31, 2010

So your health is like an everyday thing?

1
This was a question posed to me yesterday and I will have to admit while it made me smile it also led to some real frustration.  My initial internal response was not gracious...however, the Lord gave grace to respond with “yes, it sure is and I would really appreciate your prayer.”

One of the toughest parts of a chronic illness is that it is in fact an everyday thing.  For some, it could just be as simple as a daily medication, for others, like myself, it could mean up to 4 hours (more when on IV’s) of maintenance (that means that my health is really a part time job). This is not something that I can choose to take lightly.  4 hours....that means that I have to strategically schedule out each day, sometimes choosing to say no to things I would love to do in order to maintain my health.  This means that my friends understand that at the last minute I may have to stay home in order to get on top of something before it gets out of hand.

As you have opportunity to interact with those that have been dealing with a chronic illness, seek to interact with understanding.  An understanding that what you see is really only a snapshot of the big picture, an understanding that flexibility on your part is such a gift, a desire to gain a glimpse into the reality of this everyday thing.

1 Response to So your health is like an everyday thing?

June 2, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Organized flexibility -- life with a chronic disease means that you must be flexible. It is realizing that any time on any day may not go like you planned as health issues arise that forces your day to change. For some these are major events, for the person with a chronic illness, it is just part of everyday life. It is interesting trying to plan for something way in advance when you have no idea of what the status will be at that time. So what do you do -- you plan remaining flexible. How does James put it, "If the Lord wills, we will do this or that."