Thursday, July 29, 2010

Explaining a Chronic Disease-The Spoon Theory

1

One of the difficulties that living with a chronic disease presents is that of trying to explain what life is really like. For those that I interact with on a daily basis, for that matter, even my husband who has lived with me for 13+ plus years (whoohooo-love you sweetheart) it is hard to effectively communicate the reality of what I face on a moment by moment basis. 

There are things that they can grasp factually; for instance, that I have to spend hours doing maintenance treatments, I need to have someone or something “pound” on my lungs to shake the thick, sticky mucus loose (sorry if tmi), I am really susceptible to bugs and colds, I cough all the time, etc.  However, it is hard to explain how CF affects how I make choices, how I schedule my day, etc.

The following is an article written by a woman who is fighting lupus.   She has found an effective way of communicating the impact of a chronic disease.  I would strongly encourage you to read through this.  I believe that it will help give a glimpse into the life of those fighting for each and every day.




1 Response to Explaining a Chronic Disease-The Spoon Theory

July 29, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Thanks for the great collection you have given me. I treasure them! Love ya!